Wednesday, February 6, 2019

It's gorgeous out there!

I love where I live. Although not as deep in the countryside as I might dream of, my rural-ish existence means that I am surrounded by fields and trees and wake up to birdsong. (Ok - and some traffic noise...)

This morning, a mild and still morning following a night's rain, was the sort of morning I felt I could walk for ever. Of course, I couldn't, obligations and a old and cranky dog being the most pertinent reasons, but I felt I could. And I reflected on how very lucky we are in the UK to have such access to green space. You have to have lived elsewhere in the world to really appreciate a public footpath and an open playing field. How very, very lucky! There are many countries with far more space than our little island, but their land is almost universally privately owned and jealously fenced in. Our right to roam seems an essential part of our civil liberties and one that is incredibly dear to my heart.


Which is why fly-tipping and public littering make absolutely no sense to me. Of the first, why would someone EVER feel it was okay to drive along a beautiful country lane and dump their detritus? What on earth is going through their heads when they decide to spoil an area? Are they thinking `not in our backyard?' Well, I have news for the fly-tippers: it IS your back yard. Our rights of access make every little bit of this gorgeous country your back yard - and mine. And frankly, I am becoming a little pissed off at the regularity of fly-tipping down the lanes I walk. Not only does this habit create an eyesore and unnecessary cost for councils, but it shows an appalling lack of self-respect. Yup - that's what it boils down to: a complete lack of self-respect in that you are showing how little morality and responsibility you possess. And those that pay for dodgy clearances are just as much to blame. Legitimate waste collectors are listed on council websites. If they are not - contact your council. It's that easy. Don't think that your waste is going to be properly disposed of just because the man in the van said it would be. Insist on seeing records from the municipal waste sites. Take some responsibility! Because, of course, the bad news is that councils will sift through the fly-tipped waste and inevitably find some scrap that will bring them to your door - and you will be liable.

And as for those who throw their waste out of car windows...I would bet that the vast majority of those who chuck their McDonalds wrappers out of their vehicles tut-tut in sympathy when watching Blue Planet. As if plastic waste is something that comes from somewhere else.  What on Earth do you think will happen to your Big Mac box or your Costa coffee cup when you fling it out so that your car stays clean? Do you really think it is going to biodegrade? Or do you just not care? Because it isn't on your home turf? Pathetic! When I was growing up in South Africa, we had a slogan that caught on with children. It was `litter-bug, litter-bug, shame on YOU!' And shame on you! This beautiful country, where we all own so much of the breathing space deserves a whole lot more respect. Take your litter home. It isn't rocket science.

I can't say it enough: this country is beautiful. And even though I am its adopted child, I love its lanes, its trees, its fields, its public paths, its vast public parks, its dips, twists, mud, grit and ancient resilience with every bit of me. And it is not just mine. It is ours. And because it is ours, we need to look after it. Every one of us.

Go out. Have a walk. Listen to the birds. Look for the signs of Spring in the snowdrops and black hawthorn and beginning buds. Remember how lucky you are.








3 comments:

  1. Any images that you have of your own gorgeous part of the world would fit very beautifully in the comments section!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too despair at the litter spoiling our beautiful countryside. And don't get me started on flytipping .... I have a feeling certain mindless characters are making a habit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with sentiment on unsentimental selfish litterpeople.
    How to persuade the thoughtless to be thoughtful. Hmm there's walking backwards up a steep incline to get a punch in the face from s person who is, af heart, a Vandal impersonating an ancient Goth.
    Some years ago the Phrasing of a No Smoking sign was brainstormed by a coaching practice group then tested with a Focus Group.
    Intent of the brief was to get people smiling. Smiling gently in public is reckoned to be a reliable indicator that the smiler is at his/her most receptive to an invitation to modify a behaviour. Anyway, the final phrase?
    Thank yourself for Not Smoking.

    ReplyDelete

I'm Baaa-ck!

 The move is complete and after almost two months in the sedate surroundings of a Shropshire town, I am beginning to feel a little settled. ...